At a glance
- Dates: 20-22nd September, 2018
- Ticket Purchases
- Ticket Sales end on September 13th at 10:00 (CEST) 2019
- Full refunds are available until September 13th at 10:00
- Facebook event
- Accommodation: Hotel contingencies listed above, on-campus housing not available.
- Open lectures schedules: TBA
- Career Symposium: Separate link to be provided
- General Assembly: See separate invitation via email
The Homecoming Organization Committee is excited to welcome you for this year’s Homecoming from 20-22nd of September 2019 on campus. The Homecoming Organization Committee, Alumni Relations Office and Alumni Board are working hard to create an unforgettable weekend – by recreating your Jacobs experience in just three days.
This year is especially memorable, as we will welcome three reunion classes back to campus for the first time. Class of 2004, our pioneers, class of 2009, and class of 2014 will be celebrating their 15th, 10th and 5th anniversaries during this year’s Homecoming weekend.
Many aspects will remain as in earlier years, most notably the combination of Open Lectures, Homecoming with the Career Symposium on Friday. We are anticipating the highest attendance rate at this year’s Fundraising Dinner, which will be hosted at the Strandlust Hotel in Vegesack. Like last year, the dinner will be open to all alumni, regardless of their graduating class. Further, the annual Alumni Association General Assembly will start Saturday afternoon – allowing all of us to enjoy a calm Saturday morning on campus at the Major Reunion Breakfasts and to be well rested for the big Homecoming party on Saturday night, recreating the biggest parties of the classes 2004, 2009 and 2014.
Please note that the General Assembly is open to members of the Alumni Association only. It will also be live-streamed for members who are not physically present to be able to join. More information will be made available here and on a seperate livestream page once available.
The ticket sales are currently open! You can buy tickets on EventBrite. Association Members can find discounted tickets by logging onto the Membership Portal.If you are a “Patron” member, tickets will be for free. The other two membership levels, “Starter” and “Contributor”, receive the same discount. There are three ticket options – from the full package to the basic ticket for just a few Euros. Unfortunately, there will be no rooms to stay on campus as in the previous years because of yet another very big incoming class.
For Alumni Association Members
- Basic Ticket (party ticket): 15 €
- Half Ticket (parties + BBQ): 35 €
- Full Ticket (parties + BBQ + Fundraising Dinner): 60 €
⇒ Check the Alumni Portal for ticket link and discount codes.
If you are a Patron member, you can get your ticket for free.
For Non-Alumni Association Members
- Basic Ticket (party ticket): 25 €
- Half Ticket (parties + BBQ): 50 €
- Full Ticket (parties + BBQ + Fundraising Dinner): 85 €
⇒ Check EventBrite for ticket purchasing.
We have hotel contingencies with special pricing available for single and double rooms at the Strandlust and Atlantic Hotels in Vegesack. If you choose to stay in one of these hotels, please make your reservation until August 1st. When you make your reservation, please mention “JUB Alumni Homecoming 2019” to get your room at the special rate offered to the University.
Strandlust Hotel Vegesack (Rohrstraße 11, 28757 Bremen)
- Single Room (with Breakfast): 96,50 € / Night
- Double Room (with Breakfast): 140 € / Night
Atlantic Hotel Vegesack (Sagerstrasse 20, 28757 Bremen)
- Single Room (with Breakfast): 86 € / Night
- Double Room (with Breakfast): 104 € / Night
Please message the Alumni Relations Office at Jacobs firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions or concerns.
We also recommend searching for AirBnBs, alumni living in the area, or other hotels nearby.
We are pleased to invite you to the Jacobs Career Symposium 2019, organized by the Career Services Center in close collaboration with the Alumni Association. You can use this opportunity to enlarge your network, meet Jacobs Alumni as company representatives and other representatives of top organizations. The panel discussion will be followed by a networking event with students, alumni, faculty and company representatives. Snacks and drinks will be provided at the networking reception afterwards. Make sure to bring your business cards!
A Closer Look at the Weekend Agenda
- In the afternoon, there will be several lectures open for alumni to attend. For a complete overview of topics, times and locations, a course schedule will be provided.
- Get your Welcome Package in Campus Center Foyer and greet incoming fellow alumni there.
- At the Career Symposium, organized by the Career Service Center of Jacobs, selected alumni speakers and other company representatives present their companies and participate in a panel discussion. Continue the discussions over some snacks and drinks right after the Symposium.
- Alumni/Faculty-only Bar Chill Out in TheOtherSide after the Symposium. Drinks are included in the ticket prices.
- Various Major Reunions are being planned for this morning. This will be a wonderful chance to connect with alumni, faculty and students of your major. Detailed schedules will be posted on this page. Breakfast snacks will be provided.
- The “Alumni Spring Break BBQ” at the Campus Center. Drinks and food are included in the half and full tickets. Host families and previous College Mentors are also invited to join this event.
- For the General Assembly of the Jacobs Alumni Association e.V. both university representatives and board members of the Association give updates and ask for feedback of alumni. Also, the results of the Board Elections will be announced here.
- All alumni are invited to the Champagne Reception and the formal Fundraising Dinner at the Strandlust Hotel in Vegesack. There will be several courses, performances, speeches and a fundraiser.
- The Saturday night party party will combine the greatest parties from the three reunion classes (2004, 2009, and 2014). Get ready to relive the craziest moments from your Jacobian years. Drinks are included in the ticket.
- A professional photographer will be present during the day, capturing all the wonderful moments.
- Meet in the servery of College 3 – for the Farewell Brunch and make sure to say Good Bye to new and old friends. Brunch vouchers need to be separately purchased in the ticket shop.
I am not part of Class of 2004, 2009 or 2014. Can I still join the event?
Absolutely! Homecoming is an event for all Jacobs alumni – and their partners and children. That includes recent graduates and also exchange students. As in the previous years the Fundraising Dinner at Strandlust will be open to all alumni. Everybody can purchase tickets for Homecoming, however being a member of the Alumni Association will allow you to buy them at a discounted price. Log in at the Membership Portal to be able to access the discounted tickets.
What will happen at the Fundraising Dinner?
The Fundraising Dinner will take place in Hotel Strandlust in Vegesack, starting out with a champagne reception followed by a three-course dinner. Throughout the evening there will be addresses by the University Leadership and Alumni Association, along with musical performances, and speakers from the reunion classes. The dinner also takes on the function of being the main fundraiser for the Alumni Scholarship, so you will also meet the new scholarship recipient of 2019, and raise funds for the next one. We encourage all alumni to attend. All drinks are included in the ticket price. And yes, you can bring your partner along. Please note that participation is only included in the full ticket.
Will there be any sports activities?
This year, the Jacobs Games, or formerly Olympix, will not take place on the same weekend as Homecoming, in order to enable students to be able to participate more in the weekend. We will, however, have some games lined up during the Alumni Spring Break BBQ, so be sure to attend!
Where can I RSVP for Homecoming and check who else is coming?
To RSVP for Homecoming, please visit the Facebook page of the event. However, please note that RSVPing on the Facebook page does not officially register you for the event.
What ticket options are there and what are the prices?
There are three ticket options:
- The basic ticket that gives you access and drinks for the Friday night Bar Chill-Out and the Saturday night theme party;
- The half-ticket which on top of that includes the Saturday Alumni Spring Break BBQ (incl. drinks); and
- The full-ticket which includes the former as well as the formal Fundraising Dinner Saturday evening.
For transparency purposes, we would like to make sure you understand the composition of costs of the packages. Due to the generous subsidy by the University, Alumni Association Members enjoy a considerable discount on ticket prices (not including EventBrite fees). Please see the section on tickets sales for full ticket prices and purchasing options.
Alumni General Assembly
Please note that participation in the Alumni Association General Assembly, which will take place during homecoming, is possible for free without a ticket, and only possible for members of the Association. A separate invitation will be sent to all Association members via email.
How do I know I am a member of the Alumni Association and eligible for the ticket discount?
To confirm your membership please log in to the Membership Portal with your Jacobs Alumni email and password. If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it yourself by clicking “Forgot password?” during the login process. Note that you need to have provided a phone number to Google in order to be able to perform a self-service password reset. If you run into any issues, you can drop an email to email@example.com.
Please note that holding a Jacobs Alumni email address does not necessarily make you a member of the Association. There are certain exceptions due to historic reasons, where email accounts were assigned without the member necessarily formally joining the Association. The only way to be sure is to successfully log into the Membership Portal.
Where do donations go?
The revenue created from membership fees and donations every year now covers the basic running costs of the Association but, more importantly, enables it to give out at least one 9,000 € scholarship per year consistently for the foreseeable future. In a few years, we might even be able to start giving out two scholarships per year and look into additional Alumni and/or Jacobs-related causes to support. Being able to grant scholarships every year also establishes the Alumni Association as an important stakeholder in the eyes of Jacobs University and gives us more leverage to influence the direction the University will go into in the future.
How can I make donations?
Donations will be possible during the Fundraising Dinner through credit card payment as well as paper forms (Einzugsermächtigung). Additional fees might apply when paying through credit card.
Can I cancel my ticket purchases?
All tickets are fully refundable until September 13th 2019. No refunds will be given upon cancellation of late registrations.
Can I get accommodation on campus?
Unfortunately, also this year there is no on-campus accommodation available. Due to growth in student numbers, even the Guest House and the new college Krupp E are fully booked. If you decide to be a guest at any student’s dorm, be sure that the student informs the security team in advance!
What about accommodation off-campus?
Check out our hotel contingencies above! You can of course book accommodation in any hotel there is in Bremen, preferably well advance, as rooms are booked out quickly. We encourage you to also get in touch with your former host family in Bremen. Maybe you can arrange a night or two with them.
I am staying not too close to campus. Can I store luggage and change on campus?
Since this year there will not be any on-campus accommodation available due to the large incoming student batch, we are making every effort to mitigate any inconveniences caused especially for those staying further away from campus. In particular, on Saturday there are two dress codes, casual for the day and formal for the evening, and going back to your hotel to change might not be feasible. We put a slot in which you can change, from after the General Assembly at 16:30 to the beginning of the Gala Danner at 18:30. However, if this is to short you can bring the outfit for the evening to campus (or any other belongings) and store it in the Campus Center Basement Rooms (just next to the mailboxes and the bathrooms), which is open between 10:00 and 20:00. We will have hostesses there in charge of looking after your belongings. You can change in the bathrooms there or go over to the Sports & Convention Center and use its changing rooms. Any stuff that you want to leave for the night, you can leave there, which will be closed for the night and re-opened the following morning. You may also bring any belongings to the party, which has a cloakroom set up. Please note that any of those storing services are at your own risk and that we cannot be held liable for any damage or loss that might occur to your belongings.
Where can I get my Welcome Package and what is in it?
The Welcome Packages will be ready in the foyer of the foyer of the university Campus Center. If you are arriving late, you can also pick them up Saturday. The package will include your wristband for the BBQ, Fundraising Dinner and party, meal vouchers, printouts of all schedules, WiFi access codes and a little surprise present.